Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Landscape tip of the day. April 7, 2009

Ok, I am going to make this short and sweet. More often than not clients want instant everything, especially when it comes to trees. Alot goes into selecting the proper tree for a client, most of which I will not go into at the moment (I'm squeezed for time right now with a design project deadline looming....anyway). Well I am not having any luck finding the research article I want to quote in the book" The Landscape Below Ground" (fascinating reading ....really!), but I will leave you with this...
when it comes down to transplanting trees, size does matter! Think of this; a child breaks a bone, say, arm; heals up good as new in a couple of weeks. Adult breaks arm, takes longer to heal, more suceptable to problems or complications. Well trees are kinda like that as well, the younger (i.e. smaller) they are at transplanting, the quicker they recover from the shock (of transplanting) Studies have shown that a smaller tree will outgrow a larger tree planted at the same time due to that very fact (and I intend tt find that fact for you tonight in the book) . Stress effects EVERYTHING! Have a great day!

Next Landscape tip: hopefully field trial results to back this post up!

No comments:

Post a Comment