Friday, June 28, 2013

A New Day.

Well, the time has finally come. Last week I said goodbye to my lovely little herd of registered miniature Herefords.
It was a tough two days; last Thursday having my vet, Rob Wilson, come to my farm for the last time. He had been my vet of choice over the last 8 years, from the very start he had been involved with my animals. His last visit before was for my dear sweet Miss Piggy, who died unexpectantly and suddenly in early May. Broke my heart; we did everything to try and save her.  I promised that she would never leave here, by me, and she didn't. She is buried up back on high ground. She never had to leave . Sadly, I lost her orphan calf shortly thereafter. I buried him myself, next to where his momma was. It was raining, and the tears mixed with the rain and the mud.
I think that really knocked the wind and heart out of me. I had been struggling mentally for the past year about keeping them, expanding the herd, or selling. I fought hard to keep my home and herd through the divorce and was blessed with both at the end.
It was time to step back, take stock.
I sold my herd sire this past winter, as hay was at a premium. Little by little the animals went to new homes.
Spring came.
Several inquires from potential buyers came and went. I figured God had His plan; if He sent a buyer, fine, I would sell. If no one was interested, I would keep on.
A wonderful couple from Pennsylvania came up to see the herd.
They had been searching for miniatures. No one had anything for sale.
My circumstances were their opportunity.
With no hesitation on either side, we made a fair deal, and the animals were sent on their way last Friday; the summer solstice.
As I watched the trailer drive down the driveway and out onto the road, I yelled to my cattle goodbye.
I did not cry.
I was exhausted.
A day of vetting, inoculations, tattooing, rounding up and penning the herd; the next waiting for the trucker; pushing cattle that were born and spent their entire lives here onto a trailer. I was spent.
The only tear I shed was realizing I would not see those familiar animals walking through the pastures any more.
I tided up a bit, dumped the water tubs and rinsed them out, put them in the barn.
I unplugged the fencer
All was silent.
They arrived at their new home several hours later. I could sense the same excitement with the new owners as I had when my 4 arrived that October evening from west Texas in 2005.
They kindly sent lots of pictures....The entire herd was simply moved to another pasture, literally; the sight of them grazing as they had here brought me great comfort.
The new owners gave me daily updates and seemed delighted to finally have a real herd of miniature Herefords grazing on their beautiful farm.
I am grateful for the folks that now own them. I am at ease knowing they will be well cared for, well feed, looked after, fussed with, sung to, played with and tended to.
They were my therapy and escape from an abusive and cold marriage.
They comforted me as I struggled in the early months of my divorce; quite literally kept me sane, the repetition of daily chores forcing me to function.
They served me well.
I could not be happier with the home they went to, and pray God blesses them as He did me these past 8 years.
Middleground Miniature Herefords is no more. They will now be kept under the name Middlecreek.
All who have followed this blog, I thank you. Thank you for your comments, thank you for reading my sometimes insane ramblings about cattle, life, doing the right thing, men, fences, hay, chopping ice, building barns, bedding and vetting and babies and .......
Thank you, and goodbye from Middleground Miniature Herefords.
I have been blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Would love to chat with you on the miniatures, what to expect, etc...thinking about getting a few to start with as I just purchased 32 acres. My e-mail is if you're up to a chat...thanks!